Thursday, October 4, 2012

Birthday Party #1

Ok, back to catching up on here! While we were in Georgia we had Liam's first 1st Birthday Party, albeit 10 days early. : )

Several months ago I decided I wanted to do a vintage airplane theme for his birthday (since the kid has been on more planes in one year than many people I know!). I enlisted the help of one of my best friends, Jenny, who designs cards and invitations and whatnot. She is super creative, and was able to take examples of things I'd seen (hello, Pinterest!) and turn them into the perfect invitation, decorations, etc. for Liam's party.

After going back and forth on locations for the birthday party, I finally had the brilliant idea late one night to have it at the 57th Fighter Group Restaurant in Atlanta. Keith and I used to go there for their amazing Sunday brunch back when we were dating, and the place is SO cool. It's actually at Peachtree-Dekalb Airport and the restaurant overlooks the airfield and runways. There are also old planes parked around and the inside is decorated with WWII-esque memorabilia, pictures, and style. It was the perfect location for an airplane party!



Hummus with pita airplanes : )
The spread!
"Baggage Claim" -- inside the suitcases were homemade cookies with a picture of Liam in a refrigerator magnet
Kids' goodie bags filled with lots of aviation surprises!
The week before the party I was definitely stressing out -- lots to do, things to make, goodie bags to stuff! Luckily I had the help of my friends and family . . . Jenny was busy with decorations, my sis-in-law Katrina helped with goodie bags, my mom was making custom cookies, my dad was printing and cutting pictures, Keith was stringing bunting, and even my brother came over late one night to help ice cookies! It was definitely a family affair! I'm so thankful I had their help, because I don't know how I would've done it otherwise!

Just an example of how some of the cookies were decorated! 
The day of the party came, and I was so glad to see so many friends that I hadn't seen in a while, and some even came from as far as Alabama and Savannah -- again, so thankful! Liam had mastered his walking by that day, so he was showing off his new skill and toddling all around the "Bunker Room." We did an ice cream cake that matched his theme and the baker even made a big "1" for Liam's smash cake. He wasn't too sure at first, but once he tasted the icing, he definitely wanted more! I had to help him dig in a little, I think he thought the texture was too yucky to mess with. : )

Liam's smash cake!
He was mad because he had to wait for a candle!
Mom showing him the icing


Hmmm, I think I like this!




getting cleaned up

After cake, Liam opened a few presents, but the one he considered to be the best was a huge bag that his gift from Adrian came in! He carried that bag around the restaurant for the rest of the party! It really is true that kids love the boxes and bags gifts come in more than the gift itself!





me showing Liam other presents, but he just wants the bag!


All in all, it was a great day, and I am so appreciative to the family and friends who came to celebrate my little guy's first birthday. It was a party I'll never forget -- and although Liam won't remember any of this, I did make a little keepsake box where I put his invitations, decorations, cards, and other mementos from the day . . . perhaps I'll give it to him for his 18th birthday?

Liam with his Great Grammy
Gram Gram and Pop Pop

I love my family!
Happy Birthday sweet boy!

~Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment